Photo report: 'Respect for GRONINGEN' torchlight procession
On 15 January 2022 a massive torchlight procession went on in Groningen for more respect. Here's why:
- In 1959 the biggest natural gas field of Europe was found in Groningen province.
- The Netherlands has been pumping gas in Groningen since the 1960s.
- From 1991 this gas extraction led to subsidence and earthquakes. This not only causes physical damage, but also psychological damage to people living in the area, devaluation of houses and pressure on cultural heritage.
- The Netherlands earned +418 billion euros on the gas which has been the foundation of one the greatest current welfare states in the world.
- A total of 1.2 billion euros in damages has now been paid but The Netherlands has made a big mess out of the compensation. It's a shame. This is why people from Groningen want more respect.
- One latest example: a couple of weeks ago The Netherlands announced to extract even more gas because of some old contract with Germany.
This was my first attempt at photographing a demonstration. I liked doing it very much. It was also emotional for me because of my love for Groningen... Enjoy the photos despite of the misery.